There have been a number of key rule changes to the international game in the past year and here is a list of the most important adaptations.
The FIVB Board of Administration approved a proposal from the Sports Events Council for implementation in 2015, starting with the FIVB Volleyball World League, of the following rule change:
Players faults at the net
New Team Ranking
The Round Robin team ranking criteria for all events is based on the following:
1) By the number of victories (match won, match lost) among teams of the same pool or group
Meanwhile, the key rule change, which were approved by the FIVB Congress last year were the following:
The new net contact rules stipulate that: "Contact with the net by a player between the antennae, during the action of playing the ball, is a fault. The action of playing the ball includes (among others) take-off, hit (or attempt) and landing."
Additionally players' faults at the net have been updated, stating that "a player interferes with play by (amongst others):
- touching the net between the antennae or the antenna itself during his/her action of playing the ball,
- using the net between the antennae as a support or stabilizing aid,
- creating an unfair advantage over the opponent by touching the net,
- making actions which hinder an opponent’s legitimate attempt to play the ball,
- catching/holding on to the net.
Players close to the ball as it is played, or who are trying to play it, are considered in the action of playing the ball, even if no contact is made with the ball. However, touching the net outside the antenna is not to be considered a fault (except for Rule 9.1.3.)
A slight adaptation has also been made to rallies, with a completed rally now defined as: “the sequence of playing actions which results in the award of a point. This includes the award of a penalty and loss of service for serving faults out-with the time limit.
If teams have more than 12 players recorded in the score sheet, two liberos are now mandatory in the team list
There is also a change in the number of players who can feature in matches as “up to 14 players may be recorded on the score sheet and play in a match.
Official Volleyball Rules 2015-16